Medical Edge Recruitment has an immediate opening for a Special Education Teacher
Specialty: Special Education
Location: Kansas City, KS
Facility type: School
Pay rate: $42
Start Date: 2 weeks after hire
Assignment Type: Contract
Shift/Hours: 8 hour shifts
- To advocate for the rights of students with special needs.
- To develop and maintain a positive professional working relationship with student, parents, teachers, administrators and other service providers.
- To be responsible for planning instructional programs for the classroom. This includes, but is not limited to, individual plans as outlined on students’ Individual Education Programs.
- To serve as a liaison between the school and the community.
- Establish I.E.P./annual review meetings, affording parents’ and student’s right to input and notifying all service providers per local guidelines.
- To serve as an active member on the I.E.P. team for students, served yet not on the caseload.
- Develop and maintain all I.E.P.’s in accordance with federal, state and local guidelines.
- Maintain close communication with mainstream teachers and other service providers,
- keeping them fully informed of student progress.
- To carry out other responsibilities as assigned by the building administrator or special education administrator.
- Perform additional duties which will provide a positive role model for the student to follow
- both in the classroom and outside of the classroom setting.
- Evaluate student performance by performing diagnostic testing necessary in preparing for annual reviews and eligibility staffings, as well as quarterly updates on the I.E.P.
- Monitor student progress in mainstreamed classes.
- Assist in establishing class schedules.
- Supervise, evaluate and help train paraprofessionals as assigned.
- Request equipment and supplies as necessary to meet objectives as outlined on individual student’s I.E.P.s
- Demonstrate curriculum knowledge and teaching strategies.
- Implement behavioral intervention plans, as necessary
- To be responsible for other duties deemed necessary and appropriate as outlined in federal, state and local guidelines and students’ Individual Educational Program.
- Ability to work a full duty day in the location or locations assigned by the supervisor.
- Physical and emotional ability to perform required work and move about as needed in the fast-paced, highly intensive school environment.
- Meet the employment qualifications set forth by the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education and the Kansas State Department of Education.
- Hold or be eligible for Kansas certification appropriate for the position
- Must be tolerant and understanding of students with special needs.
- Show initiative, creativity, self-motivation and good judgment.
- Demonstrate good judgment, adaptability and flexibility.
- Respect confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional judgment, oral and written communication
- Be efficient and organized in “paper management”